Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup halved candied cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla; stir into flour mixture until blended. Stir in almonds and cherries (dough will be crumbly).
- Divide dough in half; shape into two balls. On an ungreased baking sheet, shape each half into a 10-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 20 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 3/4-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
2 each: 293 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.