Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min. + standing
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 package (8 ounces) uncooked manicotti shells
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the uncooked beef, beans, chili powder and oregano. Spoon into uncooked manicotti shells; arrange in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine water and picante sauce; pour over shells. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; spoon sour cream over the top. Sprinkle with cheese, onions and olives if desired. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 431 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Aug 29, 2019
My family asked me when I'll be making it again! I did cut the water down to 1 3/4 c., added the seasonings that WDDYMNCOOK mentioned, and they really helped. It does look like everything is drowning at first, but it all comes out great in the end. I had some extra filling left over after filling the manicotti, and just sprinkled that over the top. If you can make this ahead of time, and then reheat, the taste makes a world of difference. My daughter and I had some the first time around, and we weren't that crazy about it. But reheated the next day made it a major hit with both of us!
Jun 26, 2015
I made this twice now and find it to be just ok. Each time I made it I used different salsas. I think it might be a matter of finding the right salsa. I'm going to keep trying. I also cut the amount of water by 1/2 cup. Who knows my next time of making this might earn it 5 stars.
Jun 9, 2014
Great taste...easy to make...turned out a little watery...next time I will cut down the amount of water!
Apr 24, 2014
My mother used to make this when I was a kid, and it was one of my favorite dinners. I've recently gotten married and I decided to test this recipe on my husband... He absolutely loved it!
Jan 27, 2014
My family and I really enjoyed this dish! Especially great was the ease in preparation- all done the night before and just pop in the oven the next day! Great tasting too!
Aug 9, 2013
I cut the recipe in half. I only had time to refrigerate for 2 hours and it came out fine.
Jul 15, 2013
Hubby Loved this but would not use 2 1/2 cups water. Was a little to soupy but otherwise delicious. And yes use UNCOOKED beef.
Jun 3, 2013
Made this recipe a couple of weeks ago and I am just getting around to rating it. This is a great recipe for a family during the workweek because there is not a lot you need to do to prepare. First night we thought it was a little soggy, buy the leftovers were fabulous.
Dec 10, 2012
We eat meatless dinners twice a week, and this recipe is easy to modify. I prepare one box of Spanish Rice, and combine it with the refried beans in place of the ground beef. Delicious!
Mar 9, 2012
My family loves this dish. I add a little salt and pepper and garlic to the mix.Its so easy to put together, I use my husbands jerky gun to fill the mannicotti shells, it makes fast work of a triple batch.