Hazelnut Almond Biscotti
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and extracts until well-blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into egg mixture. Stir in nuts (mixture will be stiff).
- Divide dough in half. Using lightly floured hands, shape each portion into a 9x2-in. rectangle on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Cool on pans on wire racks until firm. Reduce oven setting to 325°. Transfer baked rectangles to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 3/4-in. slices. Place on baking sheets, cut side down.
- Bake until lightly browned, 5-7 minutes per side. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 89 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2018
These came out well despite the fact the dough was a bit wet and loose. Next time I'll either add more flour or refrigerate so I can get better consistency and similar size rectangles.