Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 11 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper, letting ends extend up sides. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into 3 portions. Mix almond extract and food coloring into 1 portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Mix walnuts into another portion; spread evenly over first layer. Mix melted chocolate into remaining portion; spread over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lifting with waxed paper, remove dough from pan. Cut lengthwise in half; cut each half crosswise into 1/8-in. slices.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 35 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 13, 2019
Love the combination of 3 different cookies in 1! I added strawberry extract to the red portion and pecans to the white potion.??
Dec 10, 2017
Delicious cookie. Similar to others, I added strawberry extract instead of almond extract. I doubled the recipe to and got about 50 cookies. I'll cut in thirds next time to get more. As another person commented, remove from oven before cookies start to brown.
Dec 4, 2017
Super flavor. Adding a bit of ultra concentrated raspberry flavoring to the red portion is the only change we made. To get the number of Cookies this recipe makes, we used an adjustable cheese slicer. It worked beautifully.
Feb 8, 2017
Everyone in my family liked these. They look pretty and taste good. I think they were a little more time consuming than noted. I would definitely make them again.
Jan 2, 2016
Very good taste. Did not get 11 dozen with slicing. Will make again!
Dec 11, 2015
Only made about 3 dozen cookies. I cut mine in half, maybe I should have cut in thirds. I refrigerated my dough overnight, but the cookies spread. Taste good but I don't like how they look. I think I'll drizzle them with white chocolate.
Dec 11, 2015
These are my favorite cookies!! So delicious and pretty on a cookie tray. Sometimes I use cherry extract instead of the almond.
Dec 12, 2013
Great cookies. You have to cut them very thin to get the stated amount. I added peppermint flavoring to the red and Fruity Pebbles to the white to make Christmas cookies.
Dec 9, 2013
These cookies are great when you need a lot of cookies and don't have much time. They are easy, and tasty. I sometimes add a little raspberry or strawberry extract along with the red food coloring for a different taste
Nov 20, 2013
really good and not hard to make. will give them an A