Mini Neapolitan Baked Alaskas
Surprise—there's ice cream inside these tiny showstoppers! Dinner guests will be thrilled with the pretty presentation. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 4 foil muffin liners
- 4 chocolate wafers
- 1 cup reduced-fat strawberry ice cream
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Flatten muffin liners; place on a baking sheet. Place a wafer on each. Scoop 1/4 cup of ice cream onto each wafer; freeze.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar; beat on low speed with a portable mixer for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from freezer; immediately spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of wafers. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until meringues are lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 163 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Neapolitan Baked Alaska in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.