Neapolitan Crispy Bars
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package (10 ounces) large marshmallows, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups Cocoa Krispies
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups Rice Krispies, divided
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine a third of the marshmallows (about 2 cups) and 1 tablespoon butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from heat; stir in Cocoa Krispies and chocolate chips. Press into a greased 11x7-in. dish.
- In a saucepan, combine a third of the marshmallows and 1 tablespoon butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from heat; stir in 2 cups Rice Krispies. Press into dish over chocolate layer.
- In a saucepan, combine remaining marshmallows and butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from heat; stir in preserves and, if desired, food coloring. Stir in remaining Rice Krispies. Press into dish; cool. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 228 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 19, 2016
Nothing special people.
Sep 2, 2016
These are great to make! So fun!- Theresa
Jul 24, 2014
Easy to make and were delicious!! They were a hit at home and the kids loved them!
Jan 7, 2014
Thank you all for your feedback on this recipe. Based on your comments, we retested this recipe in our test kitchen using just ¼ cup preserves (instead of ½ cup) and didn?t have any problems with the strawberry layer being too soft. The recipe will be updated shortly.Sincerely,Peggy Woodward, RDFood EditorTaste of Home brands
Nov 30, 2013
I loved these! They are very pretty and take me back to my childhood. I followed the recipe exactly, except I added a generous handful of sweetened flaked coconut to the strawberry layer to make them taste like Neapolitan coconut candy.
Sep 5, 2013
For those who really wanted to like this recipe but didn't like the consistency of the red part, a 1/3 of a 4 serving package of raspberry or strawberry jello rather than the preserves should solve the problem. You can do the same for the chocolate layer (using chocolate pudding rather than jello) instead of buying Cocoa Krispies.
Feb 28, 2012
I have to agree with the others, the strawberry part was runny and gross, I followed the directions exactly. What a waste, they looked really nice, but no one would eat them, I ended up throwing more than three quarters of this out.
Aug 15, 2011
Made it as described but the strawberry part was too runny and didnt seem to taste right but if made with food coloring only instead of the strawberry I think it would be fine.
May 9, 2011
These were excellent, but I stopped following the directions to melt the marshmallows on the stove after the first layer and used the microwave as I usually do for rice krispie treats. It made the whole recipe much quicker to complete. I plan on doing these with the strawberry layer, the regular layer, and a layer with blueberry preserves for the 4th of July.
Jul 30, 2010
Everyone loved these treats - though I did NOT use the perserves and instead used strawberry marshmellows. Turned out great.