Soft Spice Bars
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, combine butter, 1 cup sugar and molasses. Beat in egg until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; stir into the molasses mixture.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 110 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 5, 2013
Realized my review didn't include any stars...5 stars...love these bars!
May 2, 2013
These are SO good! I top them with cream cheese icing. Yummy!
Jan 1, 2013
Easy and delicious. We've made these for years. They roll very thin, so I make them in a smaller pan that suggested so they are a tiny bit thinner. Makes them more moist and chewy.
May 18, 2012
Good bars when I was in the mood for something resembling ginger cookies, but I was looking for something simple. I subbed 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 c butter, and the texture was still pretty good. I smeared a thin layer of icing on the top, because I thought they could use it.
Dec 5, 2010
I've made this recipe 4 times now and we love it. Always gets compliments. At a party I heard someone say "they look like brownies that didn't turn out but they taste really good"