Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 8 to 10 drops red food coloring
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Divide batter into three equal portions.
- Pour one portion into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Stir red food coloring into another portion; carefully spoon into pan. Stir chocolate syrup and cocoa into remaining batter; carefully spoon into pan. Do not swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 193 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 25, 2017
This cake doesn’t need anything extra like powdered sugar, frosting, etc. It is very easy to bake, and everyone loves the flavor. Once it is cut, the colors (or layers) make it look as though it is a fancy cake. Everyone loves it.
Jul 7, 2013
Great cake, everyone loved it!
Dec 24, 2011
Quick & easy, very tasty. Because we love the chocolate/orange combination, I did do a little alteration that turned out great - I brought the red food coloring down to 4, added 5 drops yellow food coloring, and added about 1/4 tsp of orange extract to the orange batter portion.
Aug 9, 2011
I made this cake for our family reunion and everyone loved it! it's easy for little hands to hold onto and eat. I used some strawberry jello for the strawberry flavor, it was great!
Jul 17, 2010
This is a fun cake to serve as it looks so nice. I make it often, varying the colors. For PTuttle who has problems with the cake sticking, don't forget to grease AND flour the pan. Works for me.
Jul 12, 2010
This recipe tastes great. I added 2 tbs. of strawberry Nestle's Quick to the pink batter and that worked well. I did have a big problem with the cake releasing from the Bundt pan (allegedly non-stick and greased on top of that with vegetable shortening). It broke apart badly, but my family didn't mind because it still tasted great. I would like to make this cake for company sometime. Does anyone have any advice on the sticking problem? I'm thinking it might be because I used one of those "pudding in the mix" yellow cake mixes. Do you think it might have been too moist?
Jun 20, 2010
Great party cake with minimal effort! Vary the colors for the season: green instead of red for St Pat's, green instead of chocolate for Christmas, purple instead of chocolate for Easter, etc. Each color can be flavored with extract or not. Or color with drink mix (Kool Ade is one brand) to flavor & color all at once.
Feb 13, 2010
I have made this and used strawberry quick for the pink portion. I also drizzle chocolate frosting over the cooled cake. Every one loved it!! Jan in MI
Jul 18, 2009
What kind the sauce we can serve this cake?
May 1, 2009
I've made this several times. Easy to make and tastes great!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.