Soft Orange Marmalade Cookies
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine sour cream and orange marmalade; set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine butter and marmalade. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until blended. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 88 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 15, 2018
Very dry cookie, more like a scone in texture. Added almond extract to dough for flavor. Added orange zest to icing for more zing. Still not happy with results
Nov 11, 2013
Cookies are a little dry. I used Cushman's Honeybell.Marmalade which is sweeter than most marmalades, so flavor was very good. If I make again, I will decrease flour slightly.
Jun 10, 2012
I did not like these cookies. They were soft but rather dry and tasteless. Even though they were not over-baked, whenever there was orange peel from the marmalade on the bottom of the cookie it was bitter just from browning. I also did not like the mouth-feel of the frosting. I believe the marmalade gave the frosting it's unusal texture. I will not make these again.
May 11, 2010
I thought the cookies were quite tasteless. After taking the first batch out of the oven, I added some orange peel to the rest of the dough. Still wasn't enough flavor, so I added orange extract to the frosting. Overall, I was disappointed.