Lemon Oatmeal Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, oats and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Beat egg and egg white; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sugar; top with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 83 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 14, 2014
My family loved these and asked me to fix them AGAIN, please! Very easy and fast.
Apr 1, 2014
I was intrigued by the idea of combining oatmeal with lemon as it is unexpected. The recipe was easy to make and the resulting cookie did not have the typical oatmeal texture, instead it was very light with a bright burst of lemon. They are a hit with everyone who has tried them. I will definitely make Lemon Oatmeal cookies again.
Sep 24, 2012
I was looking for something different and the lemon in this oatmeal cookie was just wonderful. Great recipe.
Dec 10, 2009
My Church had a Christmas Cookie Exchange contest. I had a team of six boys and girls and we baked this cookie. We won the contest. Everyone LOVED this cookie. The kids and I had a good time baking it. This will definately be a cookie I will bake over and over again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.