Lemon Slice Sugar Cookies
Here's a refreshing variation of my grandmother's sugar cookie recipe. Lemon pudding mix and icing add a subtle tartness that tingles your taste buds. —Melissa Turkington, Camano Island, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./ batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter, pudding mix and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and milk. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, shape each into a 6-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges are light brown, 8-10 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough lemon juice to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Place wrapped logs in a freezer container and freeze. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. Bake as directed, increasing time by 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 110 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Lemon Slice Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016