Lemon Poppy Seed Cutouts
I love to package up these tart, tender cookies to share with friends! You could spread them with buttercream or cream cheese frosting to turn them into sandwich cookies. And they'd be delicious dipped in white chocolate. —Ilana Pulda, Bellevue, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel, juice and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, poppy seeds and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll dough between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. cookie cutter; reroll scraps. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 80 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 17mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Poppyseed Shortbread in Ultimate Cookie Swap Bookazine 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.