Cherry Pistachio Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and orange zest. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cherries and pistachios.
- Divide dough in half ; shape each into an 11-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cookies with melted white chocolate; let stand until set.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Place wrapped rolls in a resealable plastic freezer bag and freeze. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. If necessary, let dough stand 15 minutes at room temperature before cutting. Bake as directed, increasing time by 1-2 minutes. Decorate as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 130 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 5, 2018
These are a wonderful shortbread-like cookie. I didn’t add frosting, you don’t need it!
Nov 12, 2017
Everyone loved these crisp cookies. I omitted the orange flavor and frosting.