Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2-2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk the next five ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, cream shortening, confectioners' sugar and marshmallow creme. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 201 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 3, 2020
The cookie are tasty enough to stand alone, but the filling—I could have eaten the whole bowl. Ignore the calories and enjoy. This is a keeper cookie recipe for sure.
Oct 17, 2019
Great cookies. In case these didn't turn out as expected, many cookies recipes will need adjusted for high altitude (anything 3,000 feet or above). If you live in a high altitude and did not get the results you expected this might be the problem. Check the location the recipe originated. The Nestle Toll House cookie recipe has the changes printed on the chocolate chip package or you can Google for directions on how to adjust the amounts. It doesn't take huge changes, but it makes a huge difference in many cookies.
Oct 11, 2019
I love this recipe--- The cookies are so delish I don't even bother with the filling.
Jun 1, 2018
I didn't have enough fluff, but these still turned out fantastic. Follow the timing.
Aug 30, 2016
Ive made many recipes from.TOH that my SS kids loved...this one no. The kids simply hate oatmeal lol. However, the adults gobbled them up esp Preacher. I would make again for a fellowship.
Feb 23, 2015
My toddler usually only nibbles the edge of any given cookie and then says its yucky. I made these and he ate 5 in one night!
Dec 15, 2014
These are the BEST. Every time I bake these they are a great success. I never have any left overs.
Nov 27, 2014
Every time I have made these they have always turned out crunchy on the outside and undercooked in the middle. I have tried adding more flour and it seemed to help a bit. I will look for a better oatmeal cookie recipe to pair with the cream filling.
Sep 23, 2014
Wow! These are sooo good. I did use quick oats instead of old fashioned because I had just bought a huge container of them and wanted to use them. The texture of the cookie was wonderful. The filling is sooo good. It gave me ideas to use it on cupcakes. They were a hit at work!
Sep 16, 2014
Made this recipe this week for my hubby who is an oatmeal cookie fan. He absolutely loves them. Shared some with the neighbors and was told they are the best ever !!!!! Excellent recipe and it really looks like it is a lot more work that it is.