Oatmeal Nut Cookies
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 95 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 31, 2012
My hubby is a big oatmeal raisin cookie lover. This recipe hits the spot with him. I leave out the walnuts
Aug 7, 2011
Made these this evening. Used half butter and half shortening and omitted the walnuts. Agree with other reviewers, you don't need the whole cup of white sugar!
Apr 17, 2010
I HAVE to agree these are THE BEST oatmeal raisin cookies I have EVER tasted!! I will be keeping this recipe close. Thank you for sharing it. Words cannot describe how good these cookies are (especially with a cold glass of milk). A must have in your recipe books!
Aug 25, 2009
I just made these and they were delicious! I didn't have any shortening, so used butter instead. I also omitted the walnuts and used 1 cup of raisins. Very good! Highly recommend this recipe! Cookies were soft and chewy! Yummmmm!
Apr 30, 2009
Just made these cookies, and followed the suggestion above about using less sugar. I also added 1/2 cup more raisins, and left out the walnuts. They're delicious!
Mar 8, 2009
LESS WHITE SUGAR
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.