Chewy German Chocolate Cookies
When I want a cookie that's as chewy as a brownie, this is the recipe I reach for. Coffee granules add just the right amount of mocha flavor.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 12 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 Eggland's Best eggs, at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 50 to 51 pecan halves
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules; cool and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Beat in the cooled chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture and mix well. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Working quickly, drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each. Bake until cookies are set, 10-12 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 98 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Chewy German Chocolate Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.