Chewy German Chocolate Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 12 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 48 pecan halves
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules; cool and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Beat in cooled chocolate and the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture and mix well. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Working quickly, drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each. Bake until cookies are set, 10-12 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 98 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 23, 2019
I made this cookie because it was my husband's birthday and German Chocolate Cake is his favorite. These were okay, Chocolate Chip is his favorite cookie and I owe him a cake.
Dec 21, 2013
This was a good cookie but not one of my favorites.