Chewy German Chocolate Cookies
When I want a cookie that's as chewy as a brownie, this is the recipe I reach for. Coffee granules add just the right amount of mocha flavor.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 12 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 55 to 60 pecan halves
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules; cool and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Beat in the cooled chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture and mix well. (dough will be soft). Stir in chopped pecans. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 112 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chewy German Chocolate Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.