Chewy Date Cookies
Brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon peel and chewy dates make a memorable flavor combination in this old-fashioned favorite, which comes straight from our Test Kitchen ovens. Ideal as a light dessert or slimmed-down snack the sweet treats won't last long in your cookie jar!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- In a bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flours, lemon peel, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 77 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chewy Date Cookies in Light & Tasty April/May 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.