Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 20 min.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons finely crushed almonds or walnuts, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in cocoa. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert # 806 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with meringue. Pipe 1-1/2-in. hearts 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 43 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 31, 2019
This was my first attempt at meringue cookies, and I fell in love! I piped them with a star tip, so they were round, and I omitted the nuts.
Nov 7, 2013
This was my first attempt at a meringue cookie. It was spectacular! It is hard to imagine the deep, rich flavor of such a light cookie. I followed the directions except I dropped the cookies instead of piping them. They still turned out beautiful. I also included a 1/2tsp of vanilla. This is a great recipe to make on the same day as making a pound cake that uses four egg yolks. I made a ToH Lemmon Pound Cake that called for 3 yolks. Plus, your oven will already be turned on. This delicious , easy cookie will be gracing our Holliday cookie trays this year!
Sep 13, 2011
I love the idea of the heart shapes. I will do that... I think these are fantastic cookies. Thanks for sharing.