Holiday Meringue Miniatures
My kids love these light, melt-in-your-mouth cookies, and have fun making them. These were always on our Christmas cookie plate when I was a kid, and now the tradition continues. —Susan Marshall, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Red gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 225°. Beat egg whites with vinegar and salt on medium speed until foamy and doubled in volume. Beat in extracts. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form (this may take 10 minutes).
- Place a 1/2-inch round tip into a pastry bag. Paint five stripes of red food coloring inside the length of the pastry bag. Transfer meringue to pastry bag; pipe dollops 1 inch apart onto parchments-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 1 hour until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove and cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from parchment paper; store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 meringue: 5 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 free food.
Originally published as Holiday Meringue Miniatures in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.