Holiday Meringue Miniatures
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Red gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 225°. Beat egg whites with vinegar and salt on medium speed until foamy and doubled in volume. Beat in extracts. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form (this may take 10 minutes).
- Place a 1/2-inch round tip into a pastry bag. Paint five stripes of red food coloring inside the length of the pastry bag. Transfer meringue to pastry bag; pipe dollops 1 inch apart onto parchments-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 1 hour until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove and cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from parchment paper; store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 meringue: 5 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 free food.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 29, 2019
I've used this same recipe for over 30 years, but instead of almond and vanilla extracts, I use 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract. Then I use a star tip and pipe candy cane shapes. Great addition to a cookie tray, light enough to set on top of other cookies too.