Marbled Meringue Hearts
Pretty pastel cookies are a fun way to brighten any special occasion. Replace the vanilla with a different extract for a change of flavor. —Laurie Herr, Westford, Vermont
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring, optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 200°. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Remove 1/4 cup and tint pink. Lightly swirl pink mixture into remaining meringue. Fill pastry bag with meringue. Pipe 2-in. heart shapes 2 in. apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until set and dry, about 20 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven until oven has completely cooled. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 meringue: 27 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Meringue Drops in Taste of Home February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.