- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa, boiling water, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons oil; cool. and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water and remaining oil. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Remove 2 cups of batter; stir into cocoa mixture. To the remaining batter, add orange zest. Alternately spoon the batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Swirl with a knife.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter and enough orange juice to reach desired drizzling consistency. Add orange zest; Drizzle over cake.
1 piece: 354 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.