Strawberry Marble Cake
Perfect for special occasions, this strawberry swirl cake makes a pretty presentation at the end of a meal. I also serve it with afternoon tea, and it’s a quick sell at any bake sale.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Red food coloring, optional
- Whipped topping and sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a food processor, puree strawberries; strain puree and discard seeds. Set aside.
- Sift together 3/4 cup sugar and the flour twice; set aside. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Transfer half of the batter to another bowl; fold in extracts. Fold 1/4 cup strawberry puree into remaining batter; add food coloring if desired.
- Gently spoon batters, alternating colors, into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through with a knife to swirl. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned and top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Serve cake with remaining puree; garnish with whipped topping and fresh strawberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without optional garnishes): 176 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Marble Angel Food Cake in Country Extra May 2008