Strawberry Marble Cake
Perfect for special occasions, this strawberry swirl cake makes a pretty presentation at the end of a meal. I also serve it with afternoon tea, and it’s a quick sell at any bake sale.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Red food coloring, optional
- Whipped topping and sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a food processor, puree strawberries; strain puree and discard seeds. Set aside.
- Sift together 3/4 cup sugar and the flour twice; set aside. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Transfer half of the batter to another bowl; fold in extracts. Fold 1/4 cup strawberry puree into remaining batter; add food coloring if desired.
- Gently spoon batters, alternating colors, into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through with a knife to swirl. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned and top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Serve cake with remaining puree; garnish with whipped topping and fresh strawberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without optional garnishes): 176 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Marble Angel Food Cake in Country Extra May 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.