Strawberry Ladyfinger Icebox Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 38 crisp ladyfinger cookies (about 23 ounces)
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each ) mascarpone cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl, mix strawberries and vinegar. Let stand 30 minutes. Line bottom of a 9-in. ungreased springform pan with parchment. Trim 1/2 in. off 1 end of each of 22 ladyfingers. Arrange ladyfingers, rounded sides up, along sides of prepared pan. Line bottom of pan with 8 ladyfingers, trimming to fit if necessary.
- In a large bowl, beat mascarpone cheese on low speed until fluffy. Add cream, sugar and vanilla; beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Spread 1-1/2 cups cheese mixture evenly over cookies. With a slotted spoon, spoon half of the sliced strawberry mixture over top. Repeat layers. Layer with remaining ladyfingers, trimming to fit if necessary. Spread remaining cheese over top.
- Carefully cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove rim from pan; arrange fresh strawberries over top.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 456 calories, 33g fat (19g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jun 19, 2019
I really am not sure how to review this recipe. The taste was good. But the directions left something to be desired. In the intro the author mentions "inverting" the cake. The directions never mention that again and, in fact, I believe it would be impossible and disastrous. In the ingredients, it calls for “6 cups fresh strawberries, sliced”, which SHOULD mean “measure out 6 cups of strawberries and then slice them”. That really is a bad direction. Strawberries can be all kinds of sizes – huge or as small as a thimble. A weight rather than volume would have been much clearer and more helpful. I ended up mixing the mascarpone/whipped cream component and judging the amount of sliced strawberries I needed based on that and the amount of room the ladyfingers gave me inside of the cake pan (it ended up being about 4 1/2 cups of sliced strawberries).