Strawberry Ladyfinger Icebox Cake
This cake is inventive and yet familiar. Be sure to use a springform pan; otherwise you cannot invert the cake or remove it from the pan. If it breaks while you're transferring the cake to the serving plate, just push it back together and press gently. —Stella Ohanian, Porter Ranch, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 38 crisp ladyfinger cookies (about 23 ounces)
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each ) mascarpone cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl, mix strawberries and vinegar. Let stand 30 minutes. Line bottom of a 9-in. ungreased springform pan with parchment paper. Trim 1/2 in. off ends of 22 ladyfingers. Arrange ladyfingers, rounded sides out, along sides of prepared pan. Line bottom of pan with eight ladyfingers, trimming to fit if necessary.
- In a large bowl, beat mascarpone cheese on low speed until fluffy. Add cream, sugar and vanilla; beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Spread 1-1/2 cups cheese mixture evenly over cookies. With a slotted spoon, spoon half of the sliced strawberry mixture over top. Repeat layers. Layer with remaining ladyfingers, trimming to fit if necessary. Spread remaining cheese over top.
- Carefully cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove rim from pan; arrange fresh strawberries over top.
Originally published as Strawberry and Balsamic Vinegar Icebox cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.