Cherry Chocolate Marble Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the cherry juice, water and extract; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter in half. To one portion, add cherries and walnuts; mix well. To the second portion, add chocolate; mix well. Spoon half of the cherry mixture into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Cover with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners; sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 572 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 578mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
May 10, 2017
I have made this cake at least a dozen times over the past 5 years. Absolutely delicious! I leave out the nuts. I have found that it is best to make the cake 1 or 2 days before you want to eat it.
Feb 19, 2016
This cake was delicious with a beautiful presentation. I served it with a spoonful of whipped cream.
Apr 3, 2015
Wonderful, moist cake. Everyone keeps talking about how delicious it was. A definate keeper!!
Jul 5, 2010
The chocolate overpowered the cherry flavor a little more than I would have liked, but overall a good cake!