Marble Loaf Cake
Joan sometimes adds chocolate syrup to the basic batter to produce the lovely swirls in this moist marbled loaf. "For a sweet finish, top it with a can of prepared frosting...or use your favorite homemade frosting if time allows," she suggests.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 4-1/2 cups pound cake batter (from Pound Cake Ring recipe), divided
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup batter and chocolate syrup. Pour the remaining batter into a greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pan. Spoon chocolate batter over the top; gently cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 40 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with strawberries if desired.
Originally published as Marble Loaf Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 2002