Red Velvet Marble Cake
I watched my grandma prepare her red velvet showstopper many times for family get-togethers. The fluffy butter frosting perfectly complements the flavor of this gorgeous cake.—Jodi Anderson, Overbrook, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer half of the batter to another bowl; stir in cocoa and food coloring until blended. Alternately drop plain and chocolate batters by 1/4 cupfuls into prepared pans, dividing batter evenly between pans. To make batter level in pans, bang cake pans several times on counter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Originally published as Special Occasion Red Velvet Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.