- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup large egg whites (about 7)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into lemon mixture until smooth. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the lemon mixture.
- Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Remove cake to a serving platter. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 230 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 9, 2020
This is not a good cake. The texture and flavor is really off. The cake lacks flavor and the texture is spongy and dense. It has an off taste to it. Most lemon chiffon cakes make use of the egg yolks which perhaps would help this cake. I would recommend taking this cake down and retesting it. It is a disappointment to waste costly ingredients on a cake that does not live up to its billing. It cannot be salvaged which can be disappointing for a special occasion or just the fact that you took the time and used all of these ingredients to make it. I do not give it even one star.
Mar 31, 2019
I made this cake for my mother-in-law's birthday tonight. I made it exactly as written and it was a complete disappointment. It was tasteless, dense and had an unpleasant chewiness to it. It was also dry! None of us liked it and the remainder went straight into the garbage. It was unfortunate. I have never had a Taste of Home recipe fail so badly.
Mar 19, 2019
My cake was much heavier than I thought it would be so that was disappointing. The flavor was really good, however.
Mar 19, 2010
I always try to choose the healthiest alternative when I bake. This is a delicious cake with the least amount of calories, only 3 g of fat and 0 g saturated fat, only 3 mg cholesterol, low sodium and 47 g of carbs. This recipe is about the best I've seen for a little cheating to enjoy a wonderful dessert!!