Chocolate Meringue Stars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gently fold in cocoa.
- Insert a #8b large open star tip into a pastry bag; fill half full with meringue. Pipe stars, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter, or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from paper; cool on wire racks.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cookies halfway into glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 40 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 31, 2019
Loved these!! They looked just like the picture, and were so easy to make.
Jun 25, 2017
I usually don't care for meringue cookies, but these are good!!
Dec 10, 2015
I've tried twice to make these, each time after I add the cocoa, it breaks. I added it by folding, then tried beating. Both times it broke. Had to throw it out.
Oct 31, 2013
My meringue cookies did not turn out right. I think maybe we needed to lower the temp? I have a gas oven... Sometimes I think that makes a difference. Will try again! I had been looking for a recipe like this because I used to buy low fat meringue cookies at the grocery store and we all really liked them :)
Dec 18, 2012
good but very crunchy
Dec 22, 2011
These are very good! They somehow remind me of hot cocoa! Very easy to make and look amazing!
Dec 20, 2011
I was confused by the "add salt" in the directions when no salt was listed in the ingredients. I added 1/8 tsp. of cream of tartar instead, and they turned out great!
Aug 18, 2011
I subbed all the sugar for Splenda, didn't decorate with the chocolate on top, used a ziplock back with the corner cup off to squeeze out the meringue. Delicious,low cal, diabetic cookie. Yummm
Mar 7, 2011
I made these for the first time over Christmas and they were a big hit! I didn't have cake decorating tips so I used a ziplock baggie and sliced off the end. I also made this recipe for Valentine's day without the coca an added red food coloring before forming them into hearts! They turned out cute and were eaten up :)
Dec 23, 2010