Chocolate Creme Cakes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the cake and pudding mixes, oil, water and eggs. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy; beat in milk mixture until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Split cake into two horizontal layers. Spread filling over the bottom layer; cover with top layer. Cut into serving-size pieces. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Remove from freezer 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 389 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 25, 2012
The cake was ablsolutely incredible. Extremely moist and dense; the filling however, was very disapointing. After tasting the finished icing product (before it went on the cakes) it lacked flavor and wasn't half as white as the picture shows. I added a jar of marsmallow fluff and it certainly made the mix sweet, thankfully. I will be making the cake recipe again, but just add a different filling. These would make unbelievable cupcakes! Now there's an idea ;)
Jul 15, 2010
I have made this several times over the years. It is one of our favorite cakes for picnics and parties. I always get rave reviews whenever I make it.
May 4, 2010
This cake is AWSOME! I have also made this as cupcakes, sometimes I inject the filling, sometimes I use it as icing.. If you dont want the filling, the cake is wonderful by itself!!
Mar 8, 2010
I have makde this several times and everyone loves them. Thank you for the recipe.
Oct 3, 2008
With a calorie count of 389 per slice, how is this a "light" recipe?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.