Walnut Chocolate Hearts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- In a large saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes. Stir in egg.
- Combine flour, cocoa and salt; add to butter mixture. Fold in walnuts. Cover and chill 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 9-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For topping, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half of each heart into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Dip edges of dipped side into ground walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 233 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2016
I took the advice of other reviewers, and used 3/4 C. brown sugar. These are really good cookies. Will make again. I might use milk chocolate for the icing since they are not overly sweet. I questioned the fact that there was no leavening except for the egg, so I put in 1/4 tsp. baking soda to be sure they rose, but they were just fine and I think they would have been without the soda.
Feb 13, 2014
These cookies were super easy to make and the dough was very easy to work with BUT I did not think the cookies had enough flavor and I thought they tasted dry. BUT I forgot to wait the full 15 minutes before mixing my egg in with the butter mixture and I didn't dip them in chocolate I decorated them with cherry icing.
Jan 20, 2014
I'm a bit wary of trying this recipe based on reviews, but I like the idea. You can use any chocolate cookie recipe, make it heart-shaped, dip half the heart in chocolate, plus add the finely chopped nuts. Works for me!
Feb 12, 2013
Absolutely Horrible!! I wouldn't recommend to anyone to make them. I read the top comments thinking that they would turn out great... After tasting them I wen back to look if I had left an ingredient out and then read the further down comments, explaining they taste like cardboard.
Feb 9, 2012
These cookies are great! I took these to a church function and got many requests for the recipe. Some reviewers commented that they were greasy...yes, but I found that once I rolled them out in the flour they were perfect. They are not that sweet, but you find that some people (like my husband and others) prefer cookies this way. I will definitely be making these again. Yum!
Feb 19, 2010
This was an adorable idea! But the recipe should be sweeter. They were super fun to make, and they have a wonderful presentation! I like the taste of them, but you expect a chocolate cookie dipped in chocolate to taste sweeter that these did! My husband didn't like them at all (he used the term "cardboard" - uh oh!) But he said he would like them if they were sweeter. Perhaps some adjustments could be made? More sugar in the dough? Fully sweetened chocolate instead of semi-sweet to dip them in? (also, my dough was not greasy AT ALL. Perhaps a mistake?)
Feb 11, 2010
They are not real sweet, but they grow on you. They turn out really pretty, but are more like a shortbread type cookie. Good and fairly easy to make.
Feb 8, 2010
Quite simply, the worst cookie dough ever. Greasy, greasy, greasy - I actually came on the site to make sure the recipe I printed had not had the ingredient measurements updated. They are the same. I just threw out some pretty expensive ingredients! What a shame, because the photo of them looked so great!
Feb 1, 2010
I TOOK THIS IDEA TO DECORATE THE CHOCOLATE COOKIES I MADE FROM BOX MIX. THEY LOOKED SO NICE!
Jan 15, 2010
Dry and bland, but I love the chocolate coating. Good idea, bland recipe.