Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Grease a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with some of the melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough sheets (keep dough covered with plastic wrap while assembling).
- Place one sheet of phyllo in baking dish; brush with butter. Top with a second sheet; brush with butter. Fold long ends under to fit the dish. Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup nut mixture. Repeat 18 times, layering two sheets, brushing with butter and sprinkling with nut mixture. Top with remaining dough; brush with butter. Cut into 2-in. diamonds with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 197 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 7, 2013
This recipe was easy to prepare and my husband really enjoyed it.
Jul 24, 2013
I found this dessert very time consuming to make, but very sweet, delicious and worth it. Tried making it once using 1/2 pistachios and 1/2 walnuts, but couldn't taste much difference in the end...oh well! I will stick to the original recipe from now on.
Jun 19, 2013
Absolutely delicious, my family loves it!
Jan 9, 2012
I have made this several times following the recipe exactly and it is delicious! A huge hit everywhere I've taken it.
Dec 11, 2011
Just made these and it was delicious! I may have overcooked them just a little. I would probably expect to cook them about 40-45 mins next time but other than that I wouldn't change a thing.
Jan 14, 2011
This recipe is to die for!!!!!!!
Dec 27, 2010
I have been making this recipe every year since 2006. My husband and I give it out during the holidays. Every year we make an additional batch. Everyone loves it and looks forward to it all year round. Some time saving ideas 1)We melt down the butter and put it in a spray bottle and spray the phyllo sheets. 2) Put the walnuts in a food processor to chop.
Dec 11, 2010
I've made this recipe for several years, always a hit! I make it in a half sheet pan, that way I don't have two pans to clean up!
Oct 9, 2010
I made half and it was delicious, very very sweet though
Jun 20, 2010
Time consuming but worth it! I made half a recipe because I didn't need two pans.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.