Black Walnut Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped black walnuts or walnuts, divided
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in 1-1/4 cups walnuts. Finely chop the remaining nuts.
- Shape dough into two 15-in. rolls. Roll in chopped nuts, pressing gently. Wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 55 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2017
This is a keeper. Moist and chewy even after they cooled and easy to make. I only had English walnuts so I used them instead of black walnuts. Halved the recipe since there are only 2 of us in the house and they still turned out great. Will definitely put these in the baking rotation. Thanks for the recipe.
Mar 3, 2016
they were okay seems to me there is to much flour in them I think cutting down on the flour would not make them dry!!!
May 25, 2013
These are very good. I cut the sugar down to one cup. And also cut the walnuts down to 1 cup too.
Mar 26, 2010
My Dad gave me some Black walnuts, we normally don't care for black walnuts but made these for my Dad. They were so-o-o-o good. Then I lost the receipe again and plan to make them soon. Don't change a thing.