Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 pound butter, softened
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups ground walnuts (about 1 pound)
- 5-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, egg yolks and flour; beat until smooth. Shape into 1-in. balls; place in a container with waxed paper separating each layer. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling, combine walnuts and 3-3/4 cups sugar (the mixture will be dry). In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into nut mixture. Add extracts and a few drops of water if necessary until filling reaches a spreading consistency.
- Place remaining sugar in a bowl; roll cream cheese balls in sugar until completely covered. Place a few balls at a time between two sheets of waxed paper.
- Roll balls into 2-1/2-in. circles. Gently spread about 2 teaspoons of filling over each. Roll up; place seam side down on ungreased baking sheets. Curve the ends slightly. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
2 cookies: 237 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.