Cinnamon Twirl Cookies
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat margarine and sour cream until blended. Add egg yolk; mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to margarine mixture and mix well (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough into eighths. On a well floured surface, roll each portion into a 10-in. circle. Cut each circle into 8 triangles. Combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over each triangle.
- Roll up triangles from the wide ends and place point side down 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 20-22 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 68 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 18, 2019
Been making these for years
Nov 18, 2019
Why cannot people accept a ‘Family Tradition’ recipe as it is written?
Nov 16, 2019
Just made these, I used salted butter and added just a little salt. The recipe does not tell you salted or unsalted. The dough taste great but the filling was a little dry. I used apricot preserves on the next batch with the filling and rolled them the same way they were great and weren’t dry. The next batch i made with the apricot preserves and the filling and made a long roll and when they were done just sliced them diagonal . Any way you do them they taste great. The dough is so good and easy to work with. I will one day try margarine but the regular salted butter was good maybe the margarine will make them too sticky. Sophia
Nov 14, 2019
How can recipe be adjusted to use butter in lieu of margarine?
Nov 12, 2019
I wish I can remember where I got my exact recipe from. Came off a label over 30 yrs ago! It’s a Christmas staple and they are delicious! I make many cookies, Italian cookies, the families favorite cookies. Why is it we only make them for the holidays? Sad thing is now our 3 yr old Grandson has severe nut allergies, so I have to make sure not to serve them or cross contaminate. You must try these you will not be disappointed! Being Italian I love family traditions ??
Oct 8, 2019
Can butter be used instead of margarine
Sep 30, 2019
Wonder if u could put a raspberry jam inside