Walnut Cocoa Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices)
- 2/3 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/3 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- Just before the final kneading (your bread machine may audibly signal this), add the walnuts.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 168 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 27, 2016
The bread was absolutely wonderful. To give it sweetness I added 1/4 cup of chocolate semi-sweet morsels. Yes, the aroma of chocolate while baking was mouth watering. Yum
Dec 1, 2010
The aroma of chocolate as this bread was baking was wonderful. It was a little disappointing that the flavor of the chocolate wasn't very strong. The chocolate came through more when the bread was cold. Overall, a very good bread.