Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, extract and food coloring if desired on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° until firm to the touch, 40-45 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 22 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 25, 2016
I have my own recipe for these and the ingredients are fine but preparation is not. From past experience I beat the egg whites until foamy and then added the tartar. Beat that for a minute and added a drop at a time of food coloring until I got the shade I wanted. I also added the salt and beat until soft peaks formed. The added the sugar a little at a time (about a table.) until it was gone and continued until I got stiff peaks and the sugar was dissolved. When I went by your recipe after 10 minutes of beating, it was still like water. I decided to do it my way and they came out beautifully.
Mar 17, 2012
These were a hit and so low cal! I did have to beat them forever with 2 different mixers but worth the work!
Dec 12, 2011
I must have done something wrong. The egg whites didn't fluff the way they look in the picture. Having never made meringue before i'm wondering if the sugar needs to be added at a critical point in this process? Also they turned brown on the 250 degrees! I turned it down to 200 and hope they will be ok!
Dec 16, 2010
Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans that you drop in after the "mini" chocolate chips.