Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring, optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- White pearl or coarse sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 200°. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and if desired food coloring to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert pastry tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 2-in. circles or shapes 2 in. apart onto prepared baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with pearl sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven until oven has completely cooled. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 27 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 30, 2015
I doubled the recipe and added a 3 oz box of strawberry jello with 1 cup of sugar. I also decreased the cooking time to 12 minutes because I made them smaller (tablespoon) and decrease the oven time to 40 minutes. No pastry bag needed! Excellent chewy centers and crispy shells. Daughter loves them! Like little balls of cotton candy!
Dec 13, 2013
I used peppermint extract instead of vanilla which was tasty, but I think leaving them in the oven for an hour is a little long, they seemed to be too done.
Dec 19, 2011
To change this up, I added a good 1 1/2 tablespoons of raspberry jello powder at the point of mixing in the sugar and finished by topping the piped meringue with white decorative coarse sugar before baking. The gelatin mix added a nice flavor and color. (You could use most any flavor) These were light and airy and reminded me of cotton candy.
Mar 1, 2011
Very tasty! So light and airy and crunchy. And very easy to make!