Grapefruit Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups pink grapefruit juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 pie crust (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in grapefruit juice and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir 1/2 cup of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and extract. Pour hot filling into crust.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 384 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 1, 2013
I meant to write ... so I halved the quantities OF SUGAR .....
Mar 1, 2013
Here in England we don't have grapefruit growing out of doors - so mine came from the supermarket.The recipe as given is too sweet for English tastes (unless you have particularly sour fruit) so I halved the quantities and it was just right.Make sure you pour the filling into the pastry case as soon as the butter has melted or the mixture will start to set in the pan!
Jan 19, 2011
This was unusual but very good (if you like grapefruit). It's just like a lemon meringue pie but with grapefruit. Try it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.