- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium firm bananas
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gently stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted; set aside. Slice bananas into the pastry shell. Pour hot filling over bananas.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
1 slice: 387 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.