Grapefruit may be a surprising pie filling, but this dessert has been a hit at our house for years. The marshmallows and coconut reduce some of the grapefruit's tartness.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling
- 32 large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice, divided
- 3 large red grapefruit
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the marshmallows and 1/4 cup grapefruit juice. Cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Peel the grapefruit and cut into sections (about 2-1/2 cups). Stir the grapefruit, whipped cream and remaining grapefruit juice into marshmallow mixture. Pour into crust. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 272 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Grapefruit Pie in Country June/July 2005