Ruby Grape Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 4 cups halved seedless red grapes (about 2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, combine grapes, sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch, lemon juice and zest; stir into grape mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust. Pour grape mixture into crust. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in top. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° remove foil and bake 30-35 minutes longer or until the crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 400 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 1, 2018
Very good, and quite unusual. My crew really enjoyed it. Just a hint - I saved a disposable aluminum pie plate and cut out the bottom. When a recipe calls for covering the edge of a crust with foil, I grad this, turn it upside down on the pie, and we're good to go. Fast, easy, and reusable.
Sep 29, 2015
This is the second time I have made this. It is a knockout. For the top crust. I use phyllo dough to at least 12 deep. n This makes a wonderful flaky and somewhat exotic pie. I also used non instant clear-gel instead of cornstarch. Serve this with a scoop of rum raisin ice cream.
Jul 20, 2014
This recipe was so much easier than "slipping the skins off, etc". The cinnamon and lemon zest give a nice subtle flavor, a bit like cherry pie. I was out of corn starch and used flour-which resulted in a bit more loose juice. I put in the frig to firm, but I think I may up the cornstarch when I make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.