Pineapple Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Keep warm.
- For meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Pour hot filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 332 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 26, 2019
Made this for Easter with a berry pie. This pie was gone from the tin and happily eaten 10 minutes after the first person who took a slice raved about it. I did not alter the recipe in any way.
Aug 2, 2015
This pie was delicious. The only thing I might do next time is reduce the sugar a bit.
Jun 24, 2014
I love it just the way it is. Sometimes I do the meringue and sometimes whipped cream.
Apr 8, 2014
Lets start with this, I don't do many reviews, but I just put this pie in the oven and ran over here to type this! I bought a pineapple on sale at the super market, didn't know what to do whit it and saw this pie, coupled with the fact that I had a crust in the freezer I was sold.So the only changes I made were fresh pineapple, cut the sugar down by 1/4 cup per reviews (but I now feel I could have cut it in half), and doubled the lemon juice I used which was fresh too.THIS WAS AMAZING!!!!!! I was licking the remainder of the unused filling from the pan... So yes I have not eaten the pie yet, but I have no doubt it will be amazing. Just the filing alone was out of this world! If I change my mind I will let you know, but I really don't see that happening!
Mar 23, 2013
I had this recipe from an old taste of home I had and somehow lost it! So glad I found the recipe on here again. I've made this recipe a few times just like it says, but one time I added a little coconut to the filling and it was SOOOOO yummy. So if you like coconut, try it. It gives you even more of a tropical taste. YUM!
Jun 26, 2012
I had never heard of pineapple pie until a friend mentioned fond memories of one from childhood. So, I had to look up a recipe to surprise her. She loved this and said it was perfect. This was so super easy to make, too, that I made another one for myself. This is quite delicious, though I will say that I think it is a tad too sweet for me and next time will cut the sugar in half in the pineapple mixture. Otherwise it is perfect and a great cool summer dessert.
May 9, 2012
ps: for those who are confused with cornstarch and cournflour; here's the good news. This works just fine when u add cornflour just the way the recipe calls for cornstartch; mixed with sugar and pineapple before starting to cook. I love this one!
May 9, 2012
Made this for my SIL's B'day surprise... and definitely this is going to be my special dessert for every special occasion! Had so much fun making it; and tasting the pineapple filling every five minutes ;) everyone raved about it! Thank you thank you thank you soooooo much for this one!
Mar 23, 2010
MY DAD ALSO REQUESTED A SPECIAL PIE FOR HIS BIRTHDAY (3-20) SO I MADE HIS FAVORATE PINEAPPLE PIE. THIS WAS THE BEST HE EVER HAD AND I AM ALREADY MAKING A SECOND ONE FOR HIM.
Nov 27, 2009
My Dad was raving about a pineapple meringue pie he had at a local restaurant, so I went searching for a recipe to make for him, for Thanksgiving. This was perfect and he loved it! Thanks for sharing this recipe!