World’s Best Lemon Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, lemon juice and zest until smooth. Pour into pastry shell. In a bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry peaks are formed. Gradually beat in sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over pie, sealing edges to pastry. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 334 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 9, 2018
is it possible to make this in small shot glasses?
Nov 17, 2017
First Lemon pie I made from scratch. It is the best one I have tasted in years. Others have made these, but in my opinion this one is the best recipe ever.
Jun 28, 2015
Have tried other recipes, always come back to this.
Apr 24, 2011
This recipe was easy to make, but it didn't have enough lemon flavor or "tartness" for my taste. The texture was fine. If I made it again, I would add more lemon juice as one reviewer suggested.
Jan 26, 2010
Easy to make and very good.
Jan 4, 2010
Absolutely my favorite lemon meringue pie recipe!! I've made it several times and it always turns out perfect! My husband loves it!
Nov 19, 2009
This pie is unbelievably easy and has an excellent taste and texture. I actually added a bit more of all the ingrediants to make a 10" pie. I sell this pie in my restaurant and people absolutely love it. You won't be sorry for making it if you love Lemon Meringue Pie.
Sep 21, 2009
Was delicious!! First time i ever made a lemon pie from scratch, was easy and sooo good! I used fresh squeezed lemon juice, i also used a graham cracker crumb crust instead of a pastry. Very delicious!
Aug 8, 2008
I used 1/2 cup of lemon ,we like it sour.sogome