Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with salt and cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased foil or paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with the crushed candy.
- Bake at 225° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn off heat; leave cookies in the oven with the door ajar until cool, for at least 1 hour. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 meringue: 32 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 9, 2015
So good and light. I mix the crushed peppermint into the meringue and add mini chocolate chips.
Nov 11, 2014
My large extended family loves these cookies as part of the Christmas Cookie Assortments I make each year. I even have requests for them throughout the year. And as noted previously, they are very simple to make. The one thing I might try this Christmas season is mix the candy into the meringue. Trust me, these are delicious!!
Dec 24, 2011
I am constantly being asked to make this recipe. One year I made two (2) batches and asked a friend to deliver and, of course, take some for himself... He ate all but 7 of them (I had made about 25 total)! I finally understood why I got such funny looks when I asked several people how they liked them. Now I make them every year. Mouth watering!!!!
Dec 18, 2011
Super easy and beautiful. I added 1/8 tsp peppermint extract too. I made some pink and some green - very pretty on my Christmas table.
Dec 16, 2011
I love this light, melt-in-your-mouth cookie. I mix the candy into the meringues instead of sprinkling on top.
Dec 1, 2010
My son loves these - to him it's not Christmas without them!
Nov 29, 2009
These are healthy and delicious. My sister is on Weight Watchers this year, so she'll really appreciate a healthy treat!