Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 regular-size peppermint candy canes (one green, one red), crushed
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Transfer egg white mixture to piping bag. Pipe 1-1/2-in. cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle half the cookies with crushed red candy canes and half with green (or all with both).
- Bake until firm but not brown, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
1 cookie: 16 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.