Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makesabout 8 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red and green paste or liquid food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, cream and extracts. If desired, divide dough into portions and knead in food coloring.
- Form into balls by teaspoonfuls; flatten into patties, or roll between two pieces of waxed paper to 1/8-in. thickness and cut into desired shapes. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Store in the refrigerator.
Dec 6, 2014
Made these & thought they were too sweet. I would recommend using less powdered sugar.
Oct 26, 2012
Wonderful butter mints. I have been making these mints on and off for at least 10 years now. I love to use these in my Christmas goody tins. I put them in my cookie press and press them out in cute little shapes. So they are done in a snap. They are yummy. Try it, if you like butter mints, you will love these.
Oct 12, 2008
I found this in a Taste of Home Holiday book in the store. Loved this recipe, made it for a Church dinner and got rave reviews about 4 years ago. Then, lost the book. I grieved for several years because I could not find the recipe anywhere. This year I found the website and decided to see if I could find the recipe here. YAY!! This recipe is worth the time and whips up so quickly. I don't use food coloring, I use a measuring tsp. to drop on sheet pan. They are the perfect shape and color. Thank you.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.