Creamy Pastel Mints
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cream cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red food coloring
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Place cream cheese in a bowl; let stand at room temperature to soften slightly. Stir in extract until blended. Tint mixture pink or red as desired. Gradually mix in half of the confectioners’ sugar.
- On a work surface, knead in remaining confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Divide mixture into three portions; roll each to 1/4-in. thickness. (Flour or additional confectioners' sugar is not necessary for rolling.)
- Cut candy with a 1-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 28 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Feb 6, 2017
This is a quick and easy recipe ..... end result is a creamy, sweet treat that is perfect for gift giving or just eating yourself! I added about 1-2 tablespoons of extra confectioner's sugar to make it easier to roll out ......I also made these sweet treats using raspberry extract/flavoring instead of peppermint. All in all ..... a great recipe!
Dec 31, 2016
I followed the recipe exactly except I chilled the dough for an hour before rolling it out. It rolled perfectly. I experimented a bit the second batch and made green trees and used spearmint extract. Very good, super simple and so pretty.
Feb 6, 2015
Very sticky. Dough needs to "dry" or be refridgerated before rolling out. Consistency of a very thick icing, then when "dry" you can roll it out. I used nearly 1t mint extract & a bit more sugar.
Feb 3, 2015
bigdjfHave made these many times successfully. Humidity will affect the outcome. Pick your days to make these and you wont have the sticky problems
Feb 3, 2015
These are like wedding mints if they are sticky and messy you need to put them in the refrigerator or freezer to firm them up so you can roll them out.
Feb 11, 2014
I am wondering if the test kitchen actually tried to make these mints. I attempted and after adding like two more cups of sugar than what was called for, I still had such a sticky mess that I threw the whole wasted batch away. I would love to try again if the recipe was corrected. The mess of dough tasted pretty good.
Feb 11, 2014
Good! Better dipped in semi-sweet chocolate!
Feb 8, 2014
I used the recommended amount of powdered sugar and it worked just fine. I chilled the mixture slightly before rolling out, and I rolled it between two sheets of waxed paper. This kept it from sticking. I hope this helps! Also I enjoyed the peppermint flavor.
Apr 26, 2012
Recipe is way off on the sugar, I needed much, much more - maybe double. They tasted OK but what a gooey sticky mess.
Apr 4, 2010
They taste okay... different. A slightly strange texture... But they are pretty good. But WAY too much work. It's just not worth it. And the recipe is off. I had to use a LOT more than 3 cups of sugar total. It took me about an hour and a half to make this from start to finish. Just not worth all the trouble and mess.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.