Holly Butter Mints
A merrier melt-in-your-mouth sweet than this butter-mint holly would be hard to find! It's inexpensive to make, looks so lovely on a candy tray and doesn't require refrigeration.
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours
Makesabout 12 dozen (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Dash salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 drops green paste food coloring
- 3 to 5 drops red paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter. Gradually add water, extract, butter flavoring and salt; beat in enough confectioners' sugar on medium speed until dough achieves a stiff putty consistency, about 3 minutes.
- Divide dough into three portions. Knead green food coloring into two portions. Knead red food coloring into remaining portion. For holly leaves, shape teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in granulated sugar. Flatten to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a holly leaf cookie cutter. For holly berries, shape 1/4 teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in sugar. Arrange leaves and berries on serving platter. Store at room temperature.