Holly Butter Mints
A merrier melt-in-your-mouth sweet than this butter-mint holly would be hard to find! It's inexpensive to make, looks so lovely on a candy tray and doesn't require refrigeration.
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours
Makesabout 12 dozen (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Dash salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 drops green paste food coloring
- 3 to 5 drops red paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter. Gradually add water, extract, butter flavoring and salt; beat in enough confectioners' sugar on medium speed until dough achieves a stiff putty consistency, about 3 minutes.
- Divide dough into three portions. Knead green food coloring into two portions. Knead red food coloring into remaining portion. For holly leaves, shape teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in granulated sugar. Flatten to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a holly leaf cookie cutter. For holly berries, shape 1/4 teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in sugar. Arrange leaves and berries on serving platter. Store at room temperature.
Originally published as Butter Mints in Country Woman Christmas 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.