Holiday Honey Cake
Thirty-five years ago, I gave a friend of mine a platter of my assorted home-baked Christmas cookies. The next day, she brought over slices of this delicious cake, which she made for Hannukah. Naturally, we exchanged recipes and my family and I have been enjoying this moist and flavorful honey cake ever since! I top my cake with a creamy caramel glaze. —Kristine M. Chayes, Smithtown, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/3 cups brewed coffee
- 1-1/3 cups honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger together twice; place in another large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, coffee, honey and oil until smooth. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on high speed just until stiff but not dry. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake on lowest oven rack 50-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1-1/2 hours.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla; cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate and add glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 glazed slice: 452 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as HOLIDAY HONEY CAKE in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.