Meringue Santa Hats
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Red colored sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #8 round tip. Fill bag with one-fourth of the meringue; set aside. Prepare a second piping bag, using a #12 round tip; fill with remaining meringue.
- Using bag with the #12 tip, pipe 36 Santa hat triangles (2 in. tall) onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with red sugar. Use first bag to pipe white trim and pompoms on hats.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour.
- Remove hats from paper. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 12 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Dec 14, 2016
I have made these many times, including for children's class parties at school. Mine have never burned or scorched. All the kids love these!
Dec 21, 2014
I too tried these and everything went good until baking. All burned within 7 minutes of putting them in the oven at 250 degrees. Not happy with this recipe..Not sure how you could bake these for 40 minutes..I hate baking as it is and these definitely turned me off of baking again.
Dec 20, 2014
I tried this and they scorched in 10 minutes. I had 3 pans in oven and turned temperature down to warm when I first noticed the smell of scorching. How did you bake these for 40 minutes?
Dec 16, 2014
now this is hat Christmas is for. ALL OF THE CHILDREN. some of us are children at heart.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.